Sunday, September 11, 2011

Take me out to the ballgame


Except thats not what they sing during the seventh inning stretch here they do something cooler but I'll get to that in a minute. So we went with some friends to support the Seibu Lions, who are the closest professional team to the base. We got our Lions t-shirts and chanted along with everyone. 

"Go, Go Let's go Ryans!!!!"

And even though the Ryans didn't win, it was probably the most fun I've ever had at a baseball game. Which is saying something for me, since watching people I don't know play sports is not my favorite thing to do. But the Japanese have a no heckling rule which makes the atmosphere so much happier. Although Andy tells me we can't bring his dad to a game when they come to visit or we may get kicked out. (Just kidding, Jack!!) The Japanese also have a section with an actual band, guys who play brass and one guy with a giant bass drum keeping the beat and then a few guys with giant flags waving them in fancy patterns. It seems to me that way it winds end up being fun win or lose.


So now for their seventh inning stretch ritual- balloons!!! You buy a 4 pack from a vendor walking around but it may very well be the best ¥200 you ever spend. They have little whistles attached to the bottom and when everyone lets them go at the same time it's just... so cool!!!

Here is a quick video of what it looked like:


No comments:

Post a Comment